Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Crossing the Red Sea

I was baptized this past Sunday at my church.  I had been baptized before, but after studying it a bit more in-depth I learned so much that I did not know that I decided to do it again.

This might sound a little strange to some of you and I understand!  Though I really believe that my original baptism was done in complete obedience for the external reasons the Bible mentions, I wanted to have the experience again with the knowledge of the internal reasons God calls us to the water.

After several days trying to come up with the words to express what an incredible experience it was, the Lord and I wrote a poem about it!!

My Holy Father, I heard Your voice,
You were calling to me, giving me a choice.
I accepted Your call with the faith of a child.
You grabbed a hold, but my spirit was wild.

Over years You taught me when I took time to hear,
I head Your direction, which way I should steer.
But as the years wore on, a flame lit in my soul.
A flame that led me to realize that You can make me whole.

My brain knew the steps that You wanted me to take,
But my wild spirit teetered, threatening to break.
Then You fanned the flame that You planted in my heart,
And it began to burn for You and for Your Word to impart.


You entered my thoughts at a more frequent pace.
Instead of just drinking I began to taste.
To learn who You are, and not just Your name,
To live life for You, not just play the game.

I know that You have been here all along,
But there's a difference between just listening and singing the song.
Now I look to the time where we sit down together
And You tell me stories that speak to forever.

Time I can just listen and learn about You,
How Your voice sounds, Your movements, responses, what You do.
And the more I get to know You, the more I want to know.
You are so faithful to reveal and willing to show.

I heard You call me to that precious water once more,
But I hesitated because I've been there before.
But as we met together you helped me to see,
That you were calling me back for You and for me.

"The external symbol to show people your choice,
Is also something more personal" said my Father's voice.
So, though I was nervous, I went to obey
Because in His presence I wanted to stay.

Sunday morning we met as we sang about grace,
As I met Him I had tears covering my face.
Never have I been so anxious to go
And get in the water, it was moving too slow!


When finally my turn came and I stepped in the trough
I stopped trying to wipe all of the tears off.
Though the hands that lowered me had human appear,
It was my sweet Lord that pulled me up from there.

And as I crossed the Red Sea dry as a bone,
My Jesus was waiting to welcome me home.
Dry as I entered, now coming up wet,
I opened my soul and the Father I met.

Something supernatural happened as I was buried alive.
In an instant there, a part of me died.
But as I broke the water's surface and I came through
There was a resurrection of life and all things were made new.

Now that flame is consuming my heart and my soul,
And though I died in the water, I came up whole.


God is GOOD!!!




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful poem to describe your baptism, Kristi!

    I liked and related to this line
    "But there's a difference between just listening and singing the song"

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete