Thursday, November 12, 2015

Drive to Wisconsin!

Okay, so we head out Sunday evening and drive for 11 hours to Des Moines, Iowa!!  I thought the drive would be pretty miserable, but it was incredible.



As we drove north the trees changed from the green leaves of Texas to gradually these beautiful shades of red, orange and brown. Also, eleven hours in the car is an fantastic opportunity to talk to any sweet daughters who happen to get stuck in there with you!

One thing we did notice is that our thermometer slowly started dropping!

So we leave Iowa Monday morning and head into the beautiful state of Minnesota. First thing I noticed driving over the state line is that I passed two state trooper cars not even five miles into the state!

And then there was the third!

Well I passed him, but I try really hard to obey the speed and traffic laws so I definitely was not speeding. So when I saw him pull out behind me I figured he was heading after someone else. But then those lights went on and there was no mistaking he wanted ME over!!

This is the first time in my adult life that I have ever been pulled over so to say I was FREAKING out would be an understatement! As I'm pulling over I'm telling Emaleigh to find my license and she gets it. Then I put my hands on my steering wheel like I remember learning in drivers ed and wait......

                                Image result for hands on steering wheel

He walks up to the passenger side window and greets me and promptly lets me know that I am breaking Minnesota traffic law by having a small metal cross hanging from my rear-view mirror and I needed to remove it promptly!

At first I thought that maybe this was some kind of joke, but I quickly gathered he was not kidding and I took it down. It is a little cross about two inches high and says "God Is Near." Then he asked for my insurance which I had to dig through the gazillion things that were in my glove box and find! I was totally praying that it was in there because I couldn't remember if I had put it there or not!!

Luckily after about five minutes....five LONG minutes cuz remember I was totally still freaking out at being pulled over...he came back and gave me a written warning for a traffic equipment violation.

Truth be told he was very kind and only doing his job, though I think he must have super sonic vision to even have been able to see the thing as I was going 70 down the highway!!

Well, we navigated our way through Minnesota and finally crossed the line into Wisconsin! Finally arriving at our destination which was the home of a dear friend who even had a pot of spaghetti waiting for us and a pumpkin pie in the oven!

I won't lie and say that walking away from Texas was easy, but there is a peace that comes from knowing that you are in the Lord's will that overcomes the fear of the unknown.



Since being here we have been blessed by our brothers and sisters in Wisconsin in providing housing, guidance as to what to do when, and generally just loved on. We have been blessed by our brothers and sisters in Texas through encouraging texts and emails that always seem to come at just the right time!

And we have been blessed by a loving Father who has been faithful to us, not bringing us here and then forgetting about us. Faithful to provide us comfort when we are sad and homesick and fellowship when we are lonely. And faithful to renew in us each morning a desire and yearning that reminds us why we are here and why the only thing worth losing everything for is Him

And we walk in it.

He's a good, good Father.

"See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God." 
1 John 3:1





No comments:

Post a Comment